Bible passage: Revelation 22:1–6 (ESVUK)
Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, bright as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb through the middle of the street of the city; also, on either side of the river, the tree of life with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. No longer will there be anything accursed, but the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it, and his servants will worship him. They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. And night will be no more. They will need no light of lamp or sun, for the Lord God will be their light, and they will reign forever and ever. And he said to me, “These words are trustworthy and true. And the Lord, the God of the spirits of the prophets, has sent his angel to show his servants what must soon take place.”
Thinking about the new creation and prayer
Revelation 22 pictures the day when we will see Jesus face to face in the new creation. It is a picture of prosperity, goodness, security and wonder as we see Jesus face to face. The new creation is good because Jesus is there.
- What does the passage say will happen when we see Jesus face to face? What excites you about this picture?
- Think: consider the person in this world you most enjoy spending time with. What is it that you most enjoy about them?
Jesus is at the centre of the new creation, and we get to enjoy eternity with him, in relationship with him. He is even greater than the person we most enjoy spending time with in this world.
- Think: how do you feel about seeing Jesus face to face, and spending eternity with him?
- Consider: what excites you about this? Do you worry you will be disappointed or bored? How does it change your view of the new creation to think that at the centre of the new creation is a person who loved you and died for you?
- Pray: talk to God about how you feel about the new creation being a place where you will see Jesus face to face. Give thanks for the things that you are looking forward to. Ask for his help to appreciate more the good things he has prepared for us and the wonder of seeing Jesus face to face.
The Bible gives us different pictures of the new creation. Different things will excite us about the new creation at different times. We may not feel excited about seeing Jesus face to face.
Think about all you’ve learned about God this week and what he’s like. Give thanks for all the things you’ve learned about him; give thanks you will be able to spend eternity with God in the new creation.
Revelation 22 picks up imagery from Ezekiel 47. Why not look at this passage, and compare the two pictures. What will it be like to be in the new creation? Which part of the image do you most enjoy? Why?